This is my interpretation of an Hawaiian Calabash, turned from uncooperative Ash. As the grain on it’s own was not particularly inspiring I decided to add colour and shine. As usual HS stains came to the rescue. I have used Burnt Orange, Flame and Ruby with Honey to emphasize the slight rippling in the wood. I then applied countless coats of gloss lacquer, then Yorkshire grit, original and fine. All in all I’m pleased the way it turned out but I think the finish could have been a little more glass like. Obviously, not a traditional Calabash in appearance but my wife likes it and that’s what counts (if I want to spend more time in the workshop).