It only seemed right to have a slightly spooky challenge for our members in our first October together . . . Continue reading “October ’20 Challenges: Pumpkins and Wands”
A piece of apple with Intrinsic colors and HS wax. From a dry trimming, some bark remained after turning to make some ‘buttons’. Even though it was dry, it was still branch wood and, after several days passed, did warp to add to the charm
Segmented Jack o’Lantern bowl of Padauk and Wenge. 13 rings, 32 segments per ring. 417 pieces total including a floating bottom disc. Finish is Hampshire Sheen High Gloss Wax. 14 inches diameter and 7 inches tall!!
Wand made from three woods that you can interchange on a thread
Last minute pumpkin and wand.
My efforts this month Willow Pumpkin finished in satin gloss and Ash Wand with a red hot core for increased power
Here’s my final submission, it’s a wand I made for my daughter. Bloodwood which she asked that I paint as I painted her brothers, which caused me major pains.
Here’s a wand I made for my kids teacher. 3 pumpkins for each of my kids in her class. It’s purple heart colored with iridescent paints and some burnt orange.
Here are a couple of wands I made for my boys. They are both maple which has been colored with intrinsic colors, and highlighted with some iridescent paints and embellishing waxes
I thought id turn both challenges this month. The pumpkin began life as a very nice piece of ash, before i turned and hollowed it. I coloured the pumpkin with intrinsic burnt orange and honey, before scorching, some careful sanding in places, and some more colour. very effective i think. think finial was coloured with forest and pear green before scorching, with a small piece of twig for a finishing touch. The wand was similarly a piece of ash scorched, all though much heavier on this one, to make plenty of room for the bronze wax to show off the grain.